October 23-26, 2016
National Association of Subrogation Professionals National Conference – Colorado Springs, CO
- Jeff Baill, David Yarosh, Katherine Steffe, Christopher Steffe and Phil Theesfeld were presenters at the NASP national conference.
- The NASP Iowa Chapter was the recipient of the Chapter of the Year award, which is awarded to the chapter which has made the most progress in scheduling chapter activities and engaging members. The award was accepted by Chapter co-chairs Katherine Steffe and Christopher Steffe. Way to go, Katherine and Christopher!
October 31, 2016
Kelly Micheletti became a volunteer lawyer for the Minnesota Children’s Law Center
September 29, 2016
Iowa NASP Chapter Meeting, featuring a live burn!
Iowa NASP Chapter Co-Chairs Katherine Steffe and Christopher Steffe organized a lively chapter meeting, which included two live burn scenarios with live fire investigations. The burn scenarios included typical loss patterns commonly seen in house fires. Participants observed fire ignition from various sources, fire spread, and extinguishment. They also participated in a live fire investigation, guided by various fire investigators. Click here for more photos!
August 30, 2016
Christopher Steffe drafted a successful amicus brief on behalf of the National Association of Subrogation Professionals. To read the NASP summary of the decision, click here. To reach the full opinion, click here. Congratulations, Christopher!
July 1, 2016
Larry Baill, a Founding Partner of Yost & Baill, LLP, Retires
Larry Baill, a founding partner of Yost & Baill, retired from his full time practice this summer! He has dedicated his practice to subrogation for the last 35 years, handling every type of claim including auto, fire, health insurance, and worker’s compensation. He has also been involved in many high profile subrogation cases around the country.
Larry co-founded NASP with his brother, Jeff. He served on NASP’s first board of directors, has served as editor of the Subrogator, and has been a frequent presenter at NASP conferences. Larry was one of the first attorneys to be awarded NASP’s CSRP designation. He is also a two-time recipient of NASP’s President’s Award, acknowledging his service to NASP and the subrogation industry.
Larry plans to continue his world travels and photography adventures in retirement. We wish Larry the best in his retirement, but know that he will always be engaged in the practice of law in some capacity at Yost & Baill!
June 1, 2016
Partner Jeffrey M. Baill appointed Secretary of the Hennepin County Bar Association. Jeff’s appointment is the beginning of a five-year leadership track which will lead to his appointment as President for the 2019-2020 bar year.
May 19, 2016
Iowa NASP Chapter meeting
Iowa Chapter Co-Chairs Katherine Steffe and Christopher Steffe organized a half-day meeting at Farm Bureau Financial Services in Des Moines, Iowa. The meeting featured two educational sessions: Preparation of Subrogation Files to Assess Litigation and Settlement Potential by John Foster; and Forensic Electrical Investigation by Derek Starr, P.E. of S-E-A, Ltd.
May 12, 2016
Yost & Baill is pleased to announce that Michelle D. Hurley and Anamarie Reyes Kolden are now Partners with the Firm. Read more here.
March 12, 2016
Jeff Baill awarded inaugural USTA Volunteer Exceptional Service Award
Congratulations to Jeff Baill, the recipient of the inaugural United States Tennis Association Volunteer Exceptional Service Award! Click here to read more about the award.
February 17, 2016
Minnesota Supreme Court Upholds Right to Subrogation Against Tenant
In a 4-3 decision, the Minnesota Supreme Court upheld the right of subrogation by a landlord’s insurer against a tenant. Steven Theesfeld of Yost & Baill’s Minneapolis, MN office successfully argued that de novo is the correct standard of review on a district court decision dismissing an equitable claim where the facts are undisputed. The Court affirmed the Minnesota Court of Appeals with respect to the standard of review, and further affirmed the Court of Appeals’ holding that the district court misapplied the case-by-case analysis set forth in RAM Mutual. Ins. Co. v. Rohde, 820 N.W.2d 1 (2012). The Court held that the plain language of the parties’ lease created a reasonable expectation that the respondent-tenant would be liable for damage to the tenant’s own unit, but declined to extend liability to other property belonging to the landlord. You can read the decision here, or click here to be redirected to the video of the Minnesota Supreme Court Oral Argument.
Recent Bar Admissions
Anamarie Reyes Kolden of our Minnesota office was recently admitted to practice in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Michelle Hurley of our Minnesota office was recently admitted to practice in Iowa state courts.
Teirney Christenson of our Wisconsin office is now a member of the Trial Bar for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Nicole Kustermann published an article in the NASP Subrogator titled, “Don’t Let Your Credit Right Impede Settlement”
Nicole Kustermann published an article in Claims Management titled, “Why Multiple Levels of Collaboration Are Critical for Recoveries”
Jeff Baill wrote an article for the NASP Subrogator titled, “The Real Experts”
January 14, 2016
Jeff Baill published an article in Claims Management, the online publication of Claims and Litigation Management Alliance titled, “Inextricable Ties Between Claims and Subrogation Departments”
Steven Theesfeld published an article in the NASP Subrogator titled, “The Agelessness of Abraham Lincoln’s Advice to Attorneys”
Attorneys Steven Theesfeld of Yost & Baill and Marie Cheung-Truslow of Insurance Subrogation Group co-authored “Bringing Subrogation Actions,” chapter 160 in the New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition. New Appleman is a comprehensive insurance law treatise consisting of thirteen volumes. New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition is published by LexisNexis and can be found here.
Jeff Baill wrote an article for the NASP Subrogator titled, “Leadership vs. Management”
Jeff Baill wrote an article for the NASP Subrogator titled, “Work-Life Balance”
Jeff Baill wrote an article for the NASP Subrogator titled, “The Best and the Brightest”
Jeff Baill wrote an article for the NASP Subrogator titled, “Behind the Curtain.”
Ben Sorenson wrote an article for the NASP Subrogator titled, “Tricks of the Trade: Tips for Settling Auto Claims with Pro-Se Defendants”
Jeff Baill wrote an article for The Hennepin Lawyer titled, “Confessions of an Insurance Subrogation Attorney”
- November 17, 2015, Wisconsin Fire Loss Association – Fond du Lac, WI. Phil Theesfeld and Christopher Steffe gave a presentation titled, “Wisconsin Property Subrogation.”
- November 8-11, 2015, National Association of Subrogation Professionals National Conference – Reno, NV. Jeff Baill, Steven Theesfeld, Phil Theesfeld, and Teirney Christenson were presenters at the NASP national conference.
Yost & Baill, deLuca Levine and their guests rocked the microphones at a private karaoke party at the 2015 NASP conference in Reno, NV. For more photos, click here. Pictured: Jeff Baill and Ken Levine.
- October 22, 2015, National Association of Subrogation Professionals Iowa Chapter Meeting, Continental Western Group – Urbandale, IA. Jeff Baill lead a session about Subrogation Mediation. This meeting was organized by Iowa Chapter Chairs Katherine Steffe and Christopher Steffe (both from Yost & Baill’s Wisconsin office). Yost & Baill and S-E-A Ltd. co-sponsored the event.
- October 15, 2015, NASP Wisconsin Chapter Meeting, American Family Mutual Insurance Company – Wausau, WI. Phil Theesfeld lead a session about Wisconsin’s Made Whole Doctrine.
- May 21, 2015 – Christopher Steffe and Katherine Steffe of our Wisconsin office presented the Iowa Chapter Introduction Webinar for NASP.
- Michelle Hurley of our Minnesota office expanded her home by four feet – she had twins! Colin and Eleanor were born on April 24, 2015.
- Daniel W. Boerigter of our Minnesota office was admitted to North Dakota State and Federal Courts
- Benjamin Sorenson of our Minnesota office became a member of the International Association of Arson Investigators, Minnesota Chapter
- Christopher Steffe of our Wisconsin office filed an amicus brief on behalf of NASP: http://tinyurl.com/maocodd
- Daniel W. Boerigter of our Minnesota office became of a member of NASP’s Legislative Affairs Committee
- Katherine Steffe and Christopher Steffe of our Wisconsin office became Co-Chairs of the Iowa Chapter of NASP
- January-February 2015-Yost & Baill was featured in Minnesota Claims, “Yost & Baill Observes 35th Year With Sculpture“
- Steven Theesfeld of our Minnesota office and Christopher Steffe of our Wisconsin office were selected to serve on the NASP Amicus Committee.
- October 13, 2013 – Associate attorney Kelly Micheletti and her husband Nick welcomed their first child, Elliot Marie! Elliot weighed 8 pounds, 10 ounces.
- September 30, 2013 – Yost & Baill attorneys and staff participated in a Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity project in North Minneapolis. Attorneys David Yarosh, Dan Boerigter, Nicole Kustermann, Dave Taylor, Anamarie Reyes Kolden, Michelle Hurley, office manager James Fowler, and staff Renee Rice, Ginger Palmquist, and Shani Sudduth participated in the project. Volunteers caulked windows, painted garage roof gables, painted doors, installed baseboard trim, hung shower and towel rods, hung closet storage systems, and completed other finishing projects throughout the residence.
- January 13, 2013 – Office Manager James Fowler and his wife Julie welcomed their first child, Eero! Eero weighed 7 pounds, 4 oz. and measured 19.75 inches.
- August 22, 2012 – Associate attorney Michelle Hurley and her husband Dustin Horejsi welcomed their first child, Claire Marie! Claire weighed 8 pounds, and measured 21 inches.
- Minnesota Supreme Court issues landmark subrogation decision in landlord/tenant law